Plus 6 Facts about King that will surprise you!
Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day, everyone!
Today, we celebrate one of America's most cherished icons and all that he stood for.
Dr. King was a powerful advocate for civil rights and social change, and his work is still remembered and celebrated today.
Whether you're observing the holiday with a day off work or participating in special events in your community, I hope you take some time to reflect on what Dr King's legacy means to you.
Here are 6 Martin Luther King Jr Facts that will surprise you!
1. Martin Luther King Jr was born on January 15th, 1929 in Atlanta Georgia
2. He was assassinated at the age of 39 on April 4th, 1968 in Memphis Tennessee
3. Martin Luther King Jr lead the Montgomery Bus Boycott for 381 days which led to the desegregation of city buses.
4. Martin Luther King Jr Day is celebrated every 3rd Monday in January on his birthday - it's important that we never forget what he did for us
5. People celebrate by volunteering their time or donating money to charities that support peace and equality like The NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) or The National Urban League
6. Some schools will close on MLK day so students can participate in volunteer projects or attend speeches about Dr King's work
This is a day of remembrance for all that Dr. King has done, and also the work he had yet to do when his life was taken from him way too soon.
He believed in equality not just for African Americans but for everyone, no matter their race or background.
It’s important to keep this spirit alive by spreading it with others who need uplifting words as well as those around you on MLK Day!
Make sure to follow us and share this blog post with your friends so we can continue honoring Martin Luther King Jr together throughout the year.